Dr. Richard K. Zimmerman is a Professor with tenure in the Department of Family Medicine and also has a joint appointment in the Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences in the Graduate School of Public Health. Dr Zimmerman practices at the East Liberty Family Health Center. He serves on numerous committees including the Working Group on HPV Vaccine, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP); the Working Group on General Immunization Recommendations, ACIP; the Working Group on Adult Immunizations, ACIP; the Working Group on Influenza Vaccine, ACIP; Chair, Prevention Committee Highmark Blue Cross, PA; Advisory Board, Hepatitis B Coalition; Founding Steering Committee Member, and Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Group on Immunization Education. Dr. Zimmerman was awarded a B.A., Chemistry, cum laude, from Miami University (OH) in 1982; a M.D. from Ohio State University in 1986; and a M.P.H. in Epidemiology from University of Minnesota in 1991. Postgraduate work included a residency in family practice at Grant Medical Center in Columbus, OH; a fellowship in academic medicine and clinical investigation at University of Minnesota Department of Family Practice and Community Health, Minneapolis, MN; and a residency in general preventive medicine at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN.
He has authored over 175 publications on immunizations and vaccine-preventable diseases. Dr. Zimmerman's papers have appeared in important journals including JAMA, Pediatrics, the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and the Journal of Family Practice. He has been the principal investigator on CDC-funded studies about racial disparity and adult immunization and on ways to increase influenza vaccination rates. He has won national awards for his research on economic barriers to immunization and for his curricular materials on immunization. Dr. Zimmerman has written and spoken on the ethics of influenza vaccine rationing and of vaccine mandates.
- B.A., Chemistry, cum laude, from Miami University (OH) in 1982
- M.D. from Ohio State University in 1986
- M.P.H. in Epidemiology from University of Minnesota in 1991
- M.A. in Bioethics from Trinity International University 2007
- Christian Medical Association
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine
- Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians
- Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Fellow, American College of Preventive Medicine