Residencies in the Department of Family Medicine
Family Practice Residency Programs
The 9 distinct UPMC Family Medicine Residency programs are listed in the frame on the right of this page along with the Family Medicine anchored fellowship programs in Sports Medicine, Geriatrics, and Faculty Development
The Family Practice residency programs offer:
- Combined osteopathic and allopathic training that is fully accredited by both the ACGME and AOA
- Community outreach programs that serve their local communities and provide residents invaluable experience with the interrelationship of health and community.
- Opportunities to participate in a combined Global Health Track.
- Training opportunities with local and international underserved patients
Residents, fellows, and faculty in Family Medicine are published often in leading journals and textbooks, and are frequently selected to present at local, regional and national conferences.
Combined Family Medicine and Psychiatry Residency
The Department also offers a combined Family Medicine and Psychiatry Residency Training Program with Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC, one of only 10 such programs in the country.
The Program trains physicians in medical and psychiatric specialties to:
- Provide comprehensive medical and psychiatric services to a broad spectrum of patients in the community.
- Become leaders in academic family medicine and psychiatry.
The program combines the resources of the UPMC St. Margaret, UPMC McKeesport and the UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital to produce broadly-based trainees who will be uniquely qualified to combine medical and psychiatric treatment to populations who require comprehensive health care services.
Rural Family Medicine Residency
- The Department also offers a Rural Family Medicine Residency tailored to train residents in Family Medicine practice in rural environments. The UPMC Altoona Family Medicine Residency offers a rural clinical training experience and a Rural anchored Family Residency Program in association with the Susquehanna- Williamsport program was founded in 2023.